How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 57719
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After working with my dad for 5 years in construction industry

This answer was rated:

After working with my dad for 5 years in construction industry as his foreman, I started my own DBA partnership business with my wife, and got my General contractors license under that partnership name. Can I start an LLC and bid on work using my license number from my DBA to protect me from any lawsuits?
What state is this in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in California, and want to bid on public and private jobs. I probably should've incorporated first, and got my license for the corporation, knowing now that California doesn't give licenses to LLC's. But now that I already have a license for my partnership and paid all the fees and ready to bid, I just want to be safe from any lawsuits especially in my first year of business.
You need the license under the company you are operating under. Consider asking the licensing department to transfer it.
Infolawyer and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you