How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife, I, and a few our friends would like to pull our money

This answer was rated:

My wife, I, and a few our friends would like to pull our money together and start investing. How should we register our venture (i.e. LP, LLC, or anything else)? What would be better from legal and tax standpoint?
The best vehicle for this would be the LLC which would limite the liablity of the members and allow all of the taxation to flow to the memebrs based upon their percentage of ownership in the LLC. From a tax perspective this allows each member to be responsible for their own share of the taxes instead of the company paying tax on the profits and then the members paying again when they take their shares.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the quick response. What is the process of registering this kind of LLC, basically what do we have to do? What would it be considered, an investment company? If one of us will be managing the money, how could that person officially get paid, would that person be on a payroll from LLC? Also,Is there any special requirements to register this type of LLC?
LLC's are pretty simple. Just about all of the forms you need for registration you can get through the Secretary of State's website.

You also need to draft a set of bylaws/membership agreement. The bylaws/membership agreement would detail the percentage of ownership of each member, how the managing member would be compensated for work, how each member would be bought out in the event they wanted out or the other members wanted them out, how voting would work, and anything else you want in there about how you will operate and be controlled.

You also go to the IRS website, and register for a Tax ID number in the name of the LLC. You can do this at the same time that you are completing the LLC paperwork with the secretary of state's office. This is because everything you will be doing will be in the name of the LLC and you will give that tax id to anyone you are investing with. At the end of each year, the LLC prepares a tax form and issues K-1 forms to each member for their share of the profits and the managing member would get either a w-2 as an employee to reflect his/her pay for managing in addition to the K-1. The LLC submits the tax form, but pays no taxes, the members pay the taxes.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you