How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I open a bank account for a new LLC partnership which

Resolved Question:

How do I open a bank account for a new LLC partnership which consists of my mom, a Canadian, and me, a green-card-holding legal alien in the USA? I have a social security number, and I've obtained a tax identification number for the LLC, but my mom does not have a SSN since she is not an American. Please advise on the necessary steps and documents needed. Thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Your mother can get an Taxpayer ID from the IRS for the purpose of opening an account in the USA. I'm really surprised that the banks didn't know this.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Hello. Once my mom receives her taxpayer ID number, what other hurdles should I anticipate? Also, can she get that taxpayer ID number from the same website through which I obtained the TIN for the LLC? Thanks.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.
The only hurdle is banker ignorance. This isn't rocket science. Lots of foreigners get bank accounts in the USA. And, yes, you should be able to get the TIN from the same website. If you're confused, you can just call the IRS and ask them what to do.
socrateaser and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help!