How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My business partner invented a multi task self assist tool

Customer Question

My business partner invented a multi task self assist tool that is patent pending. We have formed a Corporation, him being the President & Secretary, me being the Vice President & treasurer, each owning 50% of the no par value stock. We need to assign the patent / invention to our newly formed corporation. What is the easiest, fastest, legally binding way to accomplish this and is it something we can do on a online form where we fill in the fields with our information that we can print out and have notorized ? And if so where can we find this form
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
All you need to do is fill out an assignment of patent rights: and make sure that you also have an agreement that notes that in exchange for the assignment of those rights the owner received good and valuable consideration for assigning those rights to the corporation. Additionally, in your operating agreement/bylaws you need to address how the patent will be dealt with if the party ever leaves the company.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Please allow me to explain. The way the law works and lawyers work is they would take the generic form such as that one and modify it to suit the needs of your particular project and you can do this yourself or you can go to an Intellectual Property Attorney and it will cost you roughly $250 per hour and up to have the attorney revise the form. You have come here to save a good bit of money and I provided you with the basic form (since I do not even know your exact circumstances sufficient enough to even have modified the form if I would have wanted to) and this service provides information to individuals such as yourself looking to save money as to how to start towards the direction they need to go in to resolve their situations.