How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38897
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to make reproductions of a living artists work

This answer was rated:

I would like to make reproductions of a living artist's work and put it into another form. What would I have to do to legally do this without infringing on the original rights of the artist and is this possible to do?

You will need to obtain a license from the artist. The cost would be entirely negotiable between yourself and the artist.


Also, California Civil Code contains a number of laws concerning fine art sales and consignment that may impact your activities, if you are selling or consigning from within California.


See Civil Code 980-989; Civil Code 1738-1745.5.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.


socrateaser and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What kind of license from the artist would I need?

A license is a "term of art" in the legal profession (if such things can be called "art").


It means that you are granted permission to use the author's creative work under circumstances stated in the "license," which could be an ordinary contract that states the terms and conditions of use.


Here is a link to some sample agreements.

Related Business Law Questions