How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a full-time physical fitness business in San Mateo

This answer was rated:

I have a full-time physical fitness business in San Mateo County named FIT FOR LIFE. I registered the name in 2005. I just discovered that somebody started a business named FIT FOR LIFE SOLUTIONS less than 3 miles away from me in 2008 (registered in 2007). I'm concerned that their name may be confusing to potential clients of mine. Can I use the small claims court system to get them to stop using my name? If not, what are my options?

Jim Jensen

First, you need to check with the California Secretary of State to see if the pirate name is registered. You can do that here:


If it is registered, then you need to file a complaint with the Secretary of State for violation the name registration statute and it's own regulations, which can be viewed here:


If the company is not registered, then you need to send a written cease and desist letter to the company, citing its violation of California trade name law and your company's identity/intellectual property rights. This carries more weight, if done through an attorney.


Unfortunately, this is not something you can do in small claims court or without an attorney. Your company is considered a separate legal entity. Even though you are the owner, you can't represent your company in court without an attorney. It's a costly barrier, I certainly understand, but that is currently the way the system is set up. You could represent yourself, but only an attorney can represent your business, even though you may be the only owner of the business.


Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.


The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.


In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!


I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.


J.Hazelbaker and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you