How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small claims case with a corporation. He tried to

This answer was rated:

I have a small claims case with a corporation. He tried to file a motion to dismiss without an attorney. If he shows up to our hearing without an attorney, what will happen. The judge already told him he must attend with an attorney

He won't be allowed to do anything without an attorney. The judge will let you present your case, even call the person to the stand and force him to answer questions under oath, if you need. But, the person will not be allowed to do a single thing in defense of the corporation without an attorney.


If the hearing is on the motion to dismiss and he shows up without an attorney, he will lose the motion. Also, having been warned, the judge might order sanctions against the man for wasting your and your attorney's time (assuming you are represented).



Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.


The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.


In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!


I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Your supplemental information popped up after I posted. If the defendant corp has not filed an answer, then you could move for default at the hearing based on the defendant's failure to answer within time. The filing of the motion to dismiss by a non-attorney does not stop the clock to answer the complaint, which is normally 28 days.