How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed up for a home security system in fall 2008. The contract

Resolved Question:

I signed up for a home security system in fall 2008. The contract was for 2 years. I ended up moving to another city one year into the contract and my service provider explained that they could move service to my new home at no cost. The authorized dealer for this security company reinstalled the security system in my new home. I was at my new home for another year, hence fulfilling my commitment of 2 years.

When I called to cancel service at the end of 2 years, the authorize dealer told me I had signed for an extra 2 years. I knew I did not since I didn't receive nor sign a new contract. I asked the security company to send me a copy of the contract. It wasn't my signature and I know someone forged it. Does this void my contract?

What should I do from here? The authorized dealer is trying to convince me roundabout way of handling the situation to minimize his losses. I don't completely trust him (forged signature) and I don't want to be financially penalized.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.

You can only be bound to a written contract that you signed intentionally or directed another to sign on your behalf with the intention of being bound to it. A fraudulant and forged signature cannot be used to bind you to the agreement.


I would inform the provider that you do not want the service, you did not sign the contract, and that you are concerned about the forgery such that you will be filing complaints with the California Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission for unfair/deceptive trade practices and fraud, unless the send you a written release from the invalid contract.


If you don't get satisfaction immediately, you can file those complaints at the following links:



Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.


The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.


In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!


I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you