How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am starting an online magazine and I want to do so under

Customer Question

I am starting an online magazine and I want to do so under a parent company that will produce multiple online magazines, I am only starting with the one magazine but I have names I would like to trademark for future uses, should I file for a business for the parent company, is it possible to file for a business for the one magazine, then later file for a business for the parent company and place the original magaznie under the parent company, and am i legally obligated to file for a company for my first magazine to be launched
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You would have to file to register some company before starting. It is generally best to form an LLC and then you can form subsidiary LLC's for the individual magazines later as they develop. Your parent LLC can register and hold ALL of the trademarked names and just issue licenses to the subsidiaries to use those names. You can also do the same thing by creating your business as a corporation instead of an LLC, it is just that for small scale operations the LLC is easier for a person to manage and deal with since the taxes of the LLC flow through to the owner to claim on their personal taxes and the record keeping and other requriremenst are easier to manage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks your answer really helped, but for better clarification,is it possible to start a llc then place it under another llc as a subsidiary, and what are the fees there for filing a llc, llc subsidiaries, and trademarks

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is possible to start one LLC and then place it under another as a subsidiary or vice versa. The costs for forming an LLC and all of the forms are found at the Texas Secretary of State's website and for trademarks at the US Patent and Trademark Office site

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have anymore questions, I will be sure to request youCool
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.