How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55310
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My family and I are going in the restauraunt business together.

This answer was rated:

My family and I are going in the restauraunt business together. We will doing a lease with an option to buy for future. The lease is a hefty 10,000 per month and the commitment will be for 5 years. We want to know based on the lease if default occurs it states that both lessee and landlord can come to an agreement or a mitigation on remainder of lease. Also if bankruptcy occurs we can immediately terminate the lease; however would not change default info above.
My question is if we put under an LLC or whatever we need to do; is there anything that will protect us from paying that money back if we flop. Please help. We are signing lease in the next couple of days and need some answers. Thank You Candice
Good morning Candice....Let me see if I can help you.

First, if you form an LLC - which I recommend that you do because you should be operating a restaurant business from a limited liability entity to protect your personal assets from any liability your business incurs - only the LLC would be responsible for the remaining lease payments in the event of a default. Be prepared, however, for the landlord to ask for a personal guaranty of the lease should you form an LLC.   Even so, you should still form an LLC because it will shield your personal assets from other business liabilities, such as other creditors or lawsuits, etc.

Second, a landlord has a duty to mitigage his damages.   Mitigation means that once you have vacated or given notice that you are vacating, the landlord is obligated to try to re-lease the space and once leased to a new tenant, you would then be released from any further obligations with respect to future lease payments.   

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you