Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I SUBLEASED A BUILDING FOR THREE YEARS WITH AN OPTION FOR TWO

Customer Question
MORE. THE WORDING WAS THIS...
I SUBLEASED A BUILDING FOR THREE YEARS WITH AN OPTION FOR TWO MORE. THE WORDING WAS THIS -THEREAFTER SUBLEASE SHALL BE EXTENDED TWO ADDITIONAL YEARS AT SUBLEASES OPTION - HE WANTS THE LAST TO YEARS I DON'T. CAN I NOT RENEW THE OPTION
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2009
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Who is he? a co sublessee or the sublessor?
sublessee
You can choose to not renew. He can renew alone or with someone else as co sub lessee if the sub lessor so consents. But you cannot be forced to renew if you do not want to and to avoid him trying to misrepresent matters you may want to let the sublessor know.   
i did't explain right / i am the sublessor - i don't want to give him two more years - he says it's his option not mine
I see. It depends then on who the sublease gives the option to. To you or to the sub lessee.    Unless otherwise provided, the option normally belongs to the sub lessee.
the option was his / can i not give it to him if it was his option
Only if you can negotiate for him to waive it.    
Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney