How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I started a business in 2001 named Competitive

Resolved Question:

My wife and I started a business in 2001 named "Competitive Edge Consultants". As I search online now I find that there are many other businesses using the "Competitive Edge" name.

We want to make the business active now that I have retired. It has been inactive to this point. Can other companies using the "Competitive Edge" name sue me? Or prevent me from using the name? Or is it generic enough (like Dave's Garage) that it is not a problem.

We will have only (2-3) clients. We will not advertise. This is a smal business to supplement my pension income. We alread have a employer ID number with the IRS using this name.

Should I re-do the application under a new name? Thanks for any advice.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
If you register the name with your state's secretary of state as a corporation and obtain a tax ID from the IRS, you should be fine. Also, so long as you're not in direct competition with these other outfits, it should be a non-issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for this prompt service..........David Kelley
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No problem and good luck.
Roger and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions