How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I may have to sue someone for breach of contract (oral). I

Resolved Question:

I may have to sue someone for breach of contract (oral).
I want to know in what court must I do so if the damages are for
more than $10,000 (I believe our JP court's limit is $5000.00).

I am in Dallas Texas
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Justice Court jurisdiction in up to $10,000.

If you're seeking more than $10,000, you'd have to sue in County Court.

Here is a link to the court structure for your review:
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Although it is an oral contract, if I show: contract, acceptance and consideration, should I move forward at the Justice level?

What are the typical costs to start the suit and is this something I could bring forth on my own, without legal counsel?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
Yes. An oral contract is good so long as its performance will occur within 12 months. If the contract is for more than 1 year, it must be reduced to writing in order to comply with the statute of frauds.

You can proceed on your own in justice court, which is a court for small claims. Most people don't have an attorney here.

The cost to get this started is essentially the filing fees and cost to serve the person with a summons. Should be approx. $100.
Roger and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you