How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116837
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a contract security guard company that provided

This answer was rated:

I work for a contract security guard company that provided security guard services to a company that is headquartered in westport, CT; however, we provided the service in Florida. This company in question is a nationwide company. They never paid the invoices and owe us around $25,000.00. I would like to get a lien or judgement against them for the open balance amount. How do I go about that. I've called the Town Clerk office in Westport, they said they cannot help. I've called a Probate Court, they said the same thing. I've called Dept. of Consumer Protection as well with no help. We are trying to refrain from using an attorney to save the money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've heard, but cannot confirm, the company in question is up for sale. So we want to move as quickly as possible.
Unfortunately, you would have to file suit in breach of contract against them for the money they owe and secure a judgment in court before you can take such a lien out. You will need an attorney to do this as a business must be represented by an attorney. Once you file suit, that suit becomes a liability of the company and if they sell, that liability transfers to the successor business. I know you do not want to sue, but this is the only way to collect on the breach of contract claim. The best place to find an attorney is the same site used by other attorneys, and many attorneys may do this on a percentage of what they collect from you in the judgment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions