How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38911
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, We are business owners and have finished a project

Customer Question


We are business owners and have finished a project for a client. She gave us a deposit for contracting services for a deck. We cashed that sheck and used the money for materials as we always do. So far, no problem.

We completed the job and she presented us with a check and said everything was fine. We deposited the check, Two days later she called and said she noticed one of the boards was warped and wanted it fixed, We told her we would be there the next day to replace the board. She informed us at the same time that "although you won't like this, I put a stop-payment on the check." As you can imagine we were upset because we had since written checks to our laborers for the completion of the job. The check had cleared our account when we wrote the other checks.

The next day, we were back and fixed the board and she said she would contact her bank. Well, today, it shows that our bank debited back her original check plus a reverse check fee and several NSF fees. HELP
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Call the police. If law enforcement says it's a "civil matter," then your recourse is to tell the owner that if she doesn't pay the bill and your NSF fees with a cashier's check immediately, that you will have no choice but to file a mechanic's lien on the property.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We already knew this part and calling the police will not help since we already know it is a civil matter!


Thanks anyway.

Related Business Law Questions