Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am planning on opening a small business (Bicycle shop) in

Customer Question
north San Diego County....
I am planning on opening a small business (Bicycle shop) in north San Diego County. Should I use the LLC route or the personal owner. Thanks, Jerry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
7/3/2009
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Potential liability for negligence from customer injury in the bicycle business is very high.

Not incorporating or creating an LLC would seem to me perilous. Also, business liability insurance may be extremely important, because a personal injury attorney would likely attempt to hold you personally liable, in the event of a serious injury or death, if you are a one-owner corporate/LLC entity.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Thank you. What would be the best way to form the LLC? Jerry

The best way would be to hire a private attorney with corporation formation experience to custom draft an LLC operating agreement for you. But, most people cannot afford this solution, and generally opt for generic solutions, such as may be found at http://www.legalzoom.com/, or http://search.nolo.com/query.html?qt=llc&col=b2store.

If you want to go the lawyer route, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=CA.

If I do business as an LLC do you think I can still purchase inventory under my own name since I have good credit and the LLC would be new with no history? Thanks, Jerry

If you purchase under your own name, you will be liable to that creditor if your LLC doesn't make it. However, you can guarantee the LLC's financing -- just be aware that you will be undermining a portion of your protection.

If you go it as a sole proprietor, then you need enough liability insurance to cover all of your net worth. Otherwise, you could be wiped out, for the amount above your insurance coverage.

Example: you repair bike, customer, who is a physician with high earning capacity, leaves, front wheel falls off in traffic, and customer is killed. Heirs sue you for wrongful death and they win a $10,000,000 award. You're toast.

socrateaser, Attorney