How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fmr employer is defaming my new business and myself. I

This answer was rated:

My fmr employer is defaming my new business and myself.
I used to work for an individual but after not being paid for the work I was doing, I started a similar company of my own.
He then issued a Fraud Alert on his website falsely stating that I'm involved in credit card fraud and am fraudulently charging his clients. Many of his clients signed up with my service in addition to remaining on his (all were authorized).
He posted all of my & my affiliates contact info, and wrote that the local police department is interested in questioning me. None of these accusations are true. I even confirmed w/ said PD.
Since this false defamatory "alert," I've lost several clients (I have refunded anyone who has asked to be refunded).
In addition to the above, clients have also contacted me and reporting that he is saying that I physically broke into his office and stole his laptop and cell phone. Impossible (I'm in NY...he's in FL).
Is litigation necessary? What recourse do I have?
You need to file suit against him for defamation/slander/libel and tortious interference with contractual relations. Additionally, you can sue for the common law tort of false light which states when someone makes a publication with malice to portray someone in a false light in the community, this is also actionable.

I think you need to hire an attorney and sue the former employer for damages and your losses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your advice...Since my business is new, and my chargebacks have only amounted to less a few thousand max...Is there a way that I can file charges, submit complaints, any templates for me to serve as my own attorney, as hiring a lawyer would likely be more expensive than the recovery of damages and/or losses? No? there anyone/organization to have him remove the false alert from his website?
Can I file a complaint with the police (if so...the Florida police where he is located, or the NY police where my business is located and where he filed the false complaint).
Do you have any recommendations of attorneys who might be able to help me pursue this matter further?
Thanks again for your help.
You cannot represent your business in any litigation, it is considered the practice of law without a license since your business is a separate entity capable of suing and being sued. You can sue representing yourself, but not the business.

The best place to find a litigation attorney is the same site used by other attorneys
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But can I file a complaint with the police department or is it strictly a civil matter?
Also, what type of attorney? Criminal? White Collar? Business?
Sorry, this is strictly a civil matter, the police have nothing to do with these things. Any general litigation or business litigation attorney would be able to handle this.