How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it best for a corporation to file a seperate articles of

Resolved Question:

Is it best for a corporation to file a seperate 'articles of incorporation' with each state it's in or should the file as a 'forign' corporation that 'points' to the first/head corporation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If a corporation files separately in each jurisdiction, then it's not just a single corporation -- it's multiple separate corporations using the same name. This would create huge accounting and asset/liability allocation expenses, although it could make legal action against the shareholders of the multiple entities more difficult. Multiple article filings would be extremely unusual.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, then I need to move the corporation HQ from Nebraska to California and file the approprate 'pointer' documents in Colorado, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. I'd also like all the the organizations to be named 'Pagan House' but with a DBA of 'Pagan House South Dakota' etc. How much should this cost me and where can I find the person to hire to do this?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

The easiest thing to do would be to register as a foreign corporation, in California, and then just notify your registered agent for service of process in the other states of your new corporate HQ address.


Alternatively, you could form a new corporation in California, then assign all your current corporation's assets to the new corporation, and then dissolve the old corporation.


As far as who to have do this, I can't give you a direct referral to a lawyer (potentially illegal). For lawyers in any/every jurisdiction, see:, and



socrateaser and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions