How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a car in a divorce. I can no longer pay for this

Resolved Question:

I received a car in a divorce. I can no longer pay for this car. I have tried to contact the bank to ask for some finanical advice. They will not talk to me. They said that I am not on the account and they will not answer any questions. My ex-husband has filed for bankruptcy. What will happen if I return the car? Will they hold me responsible for the payoff balance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If you are not on the loan papers then if and when you return the car, your credit rating does not suffer. Since you technically do not own the vehicle, the only credit that will suffer is your husband's, because he is still the legal owner of it.

I would check with the bank right before returning the vehicle, and get a printout stating (and showing) that the car was delivered, there is nothing outstanding, and that the car is in the husband's bank. Make them sign a paper attesting to the fact that you are not an owner, and save that for your personal records.

The bank cannot hold oyu responsible because you are not on the paperwork.

Good luck!


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you