Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How about when the agent commits fraud by filing a false claim

Customer Question
How about when the...
How about when the agent commits fraud by filing a false claim with an insurer, voiding the insurance contract. Is the principal bound or does the Court protect from forfeiture where the principal is innocent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/5/2009
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If the principal shows no involvement in the matter and they cannot trace any of the proceeds to the principal, then the principal should be easily able to show his innocence and the agent should be left holding the entire bag. However, if they trace any of the proceeds of the claim to the principal, then there could be some forfeiture involved or at least repayment of the funds.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The insurance contract was voided due to the fraudulent claim made bt the insurance adjuster.Please give me precedents in Florida or USA
If the contract was voided because their adjuster (you said insurance agent at first) made a fraudulent claim, then you have a little different problem. If the adjuster came out to your business in response to a claim or spoke to you in response to a claim and subsequently filed what you claim was a fraudulent claim, then you will have to prove what you presented to the adjuster regarding your claim. If you cannot prove what you presented to the adjuster for your claim, then it ends up being your word against his.

You have provided nowhere near enough information for anyone to conduct caselaw research, especially at the high cost of legal research engines, to provide you with precedents in FL or the USA as you asked. These cases are specific to the situation of the individual and how the entire matter occurred.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney