How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an Officer in My LLC that wants to have a 0 interest

This answer was rated:

I have an Officer in My LLC that wants to have a 0 interest . He has been an absentee owner and he is willing to transfer complete ownership to myself
How do you do this?
The best way is to buy out his shares.

Do you know how many shares or what percentage of the business he control and what you control?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dimitry ,


We have equal 50% ownership currently


It is a California LLC been in operation for 3 years




There is the fast way and there is the long and complicated way.

The fast way is for you to repurchase his interest in the company by buying his shares/interest and have him sign a contract in which he formally gives up all rights to the company. Just be aware that as a solo holding an LLC, you may become a bit more liable for "piercing the corporate veil" issues in terms of possible suits.

The complicated way is to find an accounting firm or professional who can help figure out the full cost of the business. By figuring out the full cost, giving the partner half of that and also getting a contract should suffice. You could also make that number more flexible by giving more equity stake in the company to those that have been putting in "skull equity" or actual work in the business, and balance that against the starting capital each of you put in.

No matter how you evaluate the business, you would have to contact the CA Department of State and you, at their request, may have to re-incorporate the business minus your partner. Again, that is generally done at their request.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes the answer is good


But it would be more complete if it named the forms you have to fill out

and walk through the complete transaction

Go to:

And follow the requirements as to how to dissolve and rebuild your LLC if it comes down to it.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.