Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How do I disassociate from a LLC

Customer Question
How do I disassociate from a LLC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/2/2009
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
To dissassociate from the LLC, you must review the bylaws which should have a provision for the buyout of members leaving the LLC. If they do not have any provision, then you would need to negotiate a buyout based upon your percentage of ownership of the LLC and if they refuse, then you go to the bylaws about dissolving the LLC when there is a disagreement between members.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Have tried to get the other member of the LLC to sign a dissolution agreement but is unwilling. LLC is only 6 mo old no profit etc . person just being stubborn
If the membership agreement/bylaws do not have a provision for your leaving rhe LLC and the other members refuse to sign dissolution or buy you out, then as a member your only recourse is to sue them for the return of your investment to allow you out of the LLC.
There is only one other member and that member refuses to sign the disolution agreement that member wrote. There are no "investment" for either of us to get back. We should have not gotten to business together in the beginning. Our business was a service business and had not even got off the ground.
When there is a stalemate between members and the bylaws are silent, the only way to resolve it and dissolve if the other member will just not let you out, is to go to court and sue for dissolution.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney