How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wallstreetesq. Your Own Question
wallstreetesq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 17223
Experience:  10 years, Corp litigation, Of Counsel to several global and nationwide corporation
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
wallstreetesq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a doctor and Im currently involved in a dispute with my

Customer Question

I'm a doctor and I'm currently involved in a dispute with my business partner. Background: Last year I informed my partner that I wanted to go back to school. Partner encouraged me to do so. Partner also informed me that he would like to take over my half of the practice. Now that I have been accepted, he has given me a lowball offer to take over the practice. We went to court who ordered the company dissolved, but the business to continue to exist until it is terminated. Until then, we are not to misuse or divert assets from the company. The other attorney has now proposed that his client will come into the same facility to practice and use its assets and pay month to month rent until he finds another office. He is trying to take the patients which has the most value in a practice for no compensation. We are to schedule for a hearing. They're trying to delay the hearing until they are able to capture the patient base. What options are there for me in this case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 8 years ago.
depending on what evidence you have on this you should file for an injunction ASAP, and advise the court that his actions are in violation of the court order by devaluating the company assets which are its clients base.

Some evidence is needed to this fact, affidavits by office staff or even patients would help. The injunction would stop his actions and hurt him at the hearing, also you can ask for monetary damages for the loss of future income from the patients.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He has actually wrote a letter to us on what he plans on doing. The judge actually stated in his order that the doctors are able to practice their profession at the company and use the company's assets as long as they reimburse the company. However, I don't know if this means he can come in as a new company and bill insurances under their new assumed name.
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 8 years ago.
if you are not clear you need the court to verify it, he is also hurting the existing business and if not stopped the value of the existing will not be worth the litigation
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The only thing is that I'm leaving for school soon and I will not be there to fight him for this. What do you think my options are for fighting this? All I can see us being able to do is threaten that we will sue him for the damages. Our attorney actually even filed a TRO for him not to be able to do this but it seems the judge did not address this except to say that he is able to use the assets but cannot misuse or divert the assets of the company. The judge is actually not even sure if the patients is actually and asset. He wants to hear expert testimony on this in the next hearing.
Expert:  wallstreetesq. replied 8 years ago.
your attorney is advocating correctly on your behalf, the only options you have left are to have your attorney full litigate, hire a per diem doctor to cover some patients for you while you are school and then take over the practice with a patient base still existing.