How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been a business owner for the last 6 years in Orange County,

Resolved Question:

I've been a business owner for the last 6 years in Orange County, CA. However, Due to the economy and struggling since last November 2008 my business partner and I stopped receiving paychecks due to loss of business. We’ve paid into our unemployment insurance for the last 6 years….. Unfortunately, the economy’s has worsen so we’ve made a corporate decision (legal minutes) to find a new job opportunity due to business/personal heart ship. We are currently packing since we no longer are receiving any business. We contacted EDD to file a claim 2 weeks ago. I told the rep we had no income since November 2008, packing and only taking calls from collectors we owe debts to! She asked if we’ are leasing month to month or or on a contract… I said we are month to month our property manager cut our rent in half and keeping our last and first month @ security deposit to help us get through the months. What are our rights with EDD if denied?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 years ago.



If the unemployment department denied your claim, the EDD will mail you written notice that it has denied you benefits. The letter will include notification of your right to appeal the decision. The time to file an appeal notice is extremely short, typically a few days from the date the EDD MAILED the letter to you, not when you received it. Filing a notice of appeal is fairly simple. Just use the form provided by the EDD. Appeals are very informal. They take place at the local EDD office. The judge is an administrative law judge.


After the hearing, the judge mails both sides a written decision, typically within days of the hearing. The losing party can appeal the judge's decision.


Self-employment does not usually qualify for UI benefits coverage. However, it says to contact EDD so they can determine if the individual is entitled to benefits. In other words it is handled on a case by case basis.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. We can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge.



Maverick and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i don't understand if i've paid into unemployment insurance for the last 6 years being in business ..why would i not able to collect from what i Accumulated all theses years????


Thank you,



Expert:  Maverick replied 8 years ago.

I agree with you and I think you probably should, but what they will probably look for is pay check stubs issued from the company to you or your husband. I think you have a good argument.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi for some reason i am stuck in this field ... i dont want to press accept because i paid already for your services. it appears the only way to exit is to press the accept button. Pleae help.. thanks
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 years ago.
You ahve already accepted this so you should not be billed again. However, if you are, let me know and I will ask them to issue a refund for the second billing. As an alternative I will see if I can JA can close the question from our end. Please allow 24hrs time to process.