How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118616
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, my husband and I are starting our own business. So

This answer was rated:

Hello, my husband and I are starting our own business. So far we have decided that we want to be an LLC due to the protection it gives us as well as the 'ease' thats is claimed. We have applied for a name with the secretary of state, Victris LLC, and was granted that name. Now what? We are slightly stuck. I'm sure there are probably some articles of incorporation that we need, but do we file that with someone? What about business licensing? Who do we contact for such things? We also need a DBA, we are opening a retail store, so how do we apply for that? I know there are services that claim they will file all of this paperwork for you but they want several hundred dollars. We are on a very tight budget, so how can we do this ourselves?
Once you have filed for the LLC name, you now also need to obtain a Tax ID from the IRS for the LLC. Once you have obtained the Tax ID, then you also need to draft the Articles of Organization which should explain the purpose of the LLC and the members if known, the registered agent. See: The articles of organization and the tax ID need to be filed with the Sec. of State to obtain your LLC and as part of that filing you would also request a "ficticious business name" or DBA for the name of your store from the Secretary of State. Normally, the only other permits you need to operate would be those issued by the City of Indianapolis which would be applied for at City Hall.

Once the Articles of Organization are filed, then you would also draft a membership agreement/bylaws (this does not get filed, but it governs how the membership will work, especially in event of divorce).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much for your response. I greatly appreciate it.

I see that you do not live in Indiana, but what kinds of things, in general what other permits am I likely to need to file for with the city?
What you are filing for with the City is your tax permits so you can have the privilege of paying taxes to the City as well as the State.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Gotcha. Thank you very much. These were not the steps I perceived needed done next, so I am very glad that I asked. I hope you have a great day!
There are computer programs available at the local stores that can assist you in drafting these documents.