Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I want to know to form a foundation for on family reunion.

Customer Question
I have no idea where...
I want to know to form a foundation for on family reunion. I have no idea where to begin.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/3/2009
Business Lawyer: J.Hazelbaker, Attorney replied 8 years ago
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
A foundation is a charitable entity that is organized in a manner similar to starting a business. You form the legal entity on the state level. If you want people to be able to give tax deductable donations, then you can also seek IRS tax exempt status under 501 (C) of the tax code.

Here's a couple sources to give you more information:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/waggon/2006-06-29-charity_x.htm

http://www.irs.gov/charities/content/0,,id=96931,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/charities/foundations/article/0,,id=127912,00.html

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney