How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im filing an amended complaint for a breach of contract arising

Customer Question

I'm filing an amended complaint for a breach of contract arising from default on an UNsecured promissory note and need to cite law and case law. It's a straight-forward case but I can't find what to list on the complaint. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
Case law is not cited within the complaint. You should simply state the facts regarding the parties, where they reside, and the facts that led up to the creation of the note and its breach.

A civil claim over breach of contract is based on tort common law, not statutory law. There are no statutes to cite and it would be improper to cite to case law at this point.

I am available to work on this further with you should you need more assistance.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. That helps. I should have mentioned that I'm in California, though. I don't suppose you know what actual civil law is broken by not paying?
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
Failure to pay a promissory note obligation is breach of contract in California.