Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

we are an advertising company. I had a media company place

Customer Question
a buy for one of...
we are an advertising company. I had a media company place a buy for one of their clients, and would not pay for the ad until they saw proof of publication. My usual terms are payment before pub. We allowed them to place the ad, we have printed the magazine and now the client is filing bankrupcy. However, I had the media company sign the contract, not the client. Can I pursue collections against the media company for our payment on the ad?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
4/2/2009
Business Lawyer: Guru_Guy, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Attorney

The media company is the signatory for the contract. Unless the contract explicitly stated that they media company accepts no liability for payment, they would be liable to fulfill the terms of the contract (i.e. pay you). If they don't you can sue them. They can, of course, then sue the client to recoup their losses, but then they, not you, deal with the bankruptcy issues.

I hope this helps!

___________________

Please keep in mind that information in this forum is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not constitute creation of an attorney client relationship. Before acting on any such information, you are always advised to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who can take the time to review all the facts and laws relevant to your situation.

Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Attorney
Thanks!
Glad to help, good luck!
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy, Attorney