How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Weilbacher, Esq. Your Own Question
David Weilbacher, Esq.
David Weilbacher, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 335
Experience:  Criminal & Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Probate, and Bankruptcy
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
David Weilbacher, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In California, if a business very similar to mine (a restaurant)

This answer was rated:

In California, if a business very similar to mine (a restaurant) is operating just a few doors away, but not paying any taxes, employee workman's comp or insurance, what can I do to stop it? This business is run by some local churches. In this state only people who volunteer for 'ministerial' work can be exempt - business activities the church conducts may not use 'volunteers'. The government agencies I've called don't want to know. I'm filing for chapter 13 because I've not been able to pay the taxes for the past four months and really resent someone copying everything I do - and undercutting the price to boot - without paying the same piper I do. (sorry to rant)
You have a lot of work cut out for yourself if you want to address this matter. Believe me, I am of a similar mind set as you when it comes to tax exempt organizations.

What you need to do is petition you state representatives in order to get the state laws changed regarding tax exempt organizations. This is not going to be easy.

As for the "volunteers" working in nonexempt activities, have you contacted California's state taxing authority. It might be interested in this matter, especially if it determines that the organization is not paying the state withholding taxes it should be.

Sorry about your business. Good luck.

Legal Status of Assisted Suicide/Euthanasia in the United States

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so proper credit is provided for your Answer. Thank you and have a good day. This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.

David Weilbacher, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you