How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went into a verbal agreement with another person to merge

This answer was rated:

I went into a verbal agreement with another person to merge companies. He hasn't been around what so ever to do any work or help in any way. He has not lived up to his end of the deal. Now he is making threats to destroy the organization and slander me and my other partner publicaly. There is no written contract. Do I have any grounds to sue?
You may be able to force the merger or get damages for the failed merger. There is no civil suit possible regarding threats to slander you and destroy the company until he actually takes affirmative steps to do something.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I wanted to know if I had grounds to sue based on if he decides to act on his threats.
Likely so, although of course exactly how he acts on his threats will make a difference. Thanks for the ACCEPT and good luck.