Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If a california arbitrator violates l2 californian codes

Customer Question
If a california...
If a california arbitrator violates l2 californian codes and issues an corrupt arbitration award can he be sued or be held responsible?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/6/2009
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
What one needs to realize is that arbitrators have pretty free reign and are not bound by many of the same codes that judges and courts are bound by. Additionally, arbitrator's awards have been upheld even when they have wrongly interpreted statutes as long as they were not contrary to the law or procured by fraud, which are the only grounds to overturn an arbitration award. If you have grounds to object to the award, then you need to file a motion to vacate the award, but suing the arbitrator for his award is not possible. If you have grounds for your appeal, then you should hire an attorney to pursue that appeal and realize that the courts will not allow you to put on a whole new case but will only review the judgment to make sure it was rendered based upon the correct interpretation of the law and was not procured by fraud, anything else the court will not interfere with.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney