Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Why isnt AAA considered insurance? They are considered an

Customer Question
Why isn't AAA considered insurance...
Why isn't AAA considered insurance? They are considered an auto club. What is the difference. You are paying an annual fee for coverage.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/5/2009
Business Lawyer: Ellen, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Ellen, Attorney

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

AAA is a club that permits members to obtain insurance from certain insurance carriers because they are club members. AAA does not provide insurance. Instead AAA negotiates plans and fees for policies that are available only for AAA members.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

What about the AAA card that I have? I pay an annual fee in case my car doesn't start and it covers for someone to come out and tow my car in case of an emergency.

I am aware of that.

You are paying a membership fee which provides a towing and roadside assistance benefit to its members.

However, that is only a small part of what AAA provides. It provides membership discounts and ability to obtain member rates at participating vendors, including insurers.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

Business Lawyer: Sandi Lilly, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Sandi Lilly
Sandi Lilly, Attorney
Under MD Code, Insurance Sec. 26-101(f)(g) AAA falls into the definition of a motor club, regulated under the insurance code. It parallels more traditional "insurances" like life and health in that you are paying a "fee" or premium in exchange for certain services that are covered thereunder.
Sandi Lilly
Sandi Lilly, Attorney
Sandi Lilly
Sandi Lilly
Sandi Lilly, Attorney