How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 57406
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is self employed. If his company name is Online

Resolved Question:

My husband is self employed. If his company name isXXXXX he files taxes as XXXXX XXXXX dba Online Decorating Co. My question is if he is to be personally sued, can that party attach (freeze) the monies in the Online Decorating Co. bank account? The law suit would be against XXXXX XXXXX.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.

Yes, the creditor can attach the company account.


By comparison, if he has a corporation, and is sued personally, the corporation is immune. likewise, if the corporation is sued, he would be immune if the contract was with the corporation.

Infolawyer and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can the creditor attach money in the account, if that money was wired there by other clients to complete work for them?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
The creditor would need to secure a judgment first and then can enforce as against the dba. For this reason he should either do business as a corporation or LLC and protect himself personally from creditors. Please accept my answer.