Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I sold a business what taxes do I owe

?...
I sold a business what taxes do I owe ?
1/5/2009
What you owe are the capital gains taxes, the difference between what you paid for the business, plus your capital investments into the business (which gives you your basis) and what you sold the business for (after taking the allowable business deductions) and if you took a loss on the business, then you are entitled to claim such a loss on your income taxes.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I think I need to add another detail to the question just so I'm clear. My father was very ill in 2007 and he owned the business. He decided to give it to me and did so by a gift letter. 2 months later he passed away and I took over running the place. In 6/2008 I sold the business. Does that change your response?
It changes the answer a bit, since your basis would be the value of the business at the time it was given to you, meaning it was likely even higher than it is now. However, if gift taxes were never paid by your father at the time of the gift, you may end up having to end up settling this as well. What you need in this matter is going to be a tax attorney/accountant to make sure that you get the proper deductions for the sale to minimize your taxes.

Thank you that was helpful.

Thank you and good luck.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney