How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord stole 1/3 of my store, made an illegal studio,

Resolved Question:

My landlord stole 1/3 of my store, made an illegal studio, didn't give me anything in return, I have constant floods in the basement and now I'm mice infested. He refuses to talk to me or take my calls, as he hired a woman to collect his rents for the 5-6 buildings he owns. I'd like to sue, but never got a lease, and so, he'd be glad to get rid of me-since ethe rent is inexpensive. Thank You.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

If you don't have a lease, you're a month to month tenant. Thus, either of you can cancel the tenancy with 30 days notice. However, you've got the right to a reasonable space for rent, and if you're not getting that, you can sue or withhold rent. If the landlord cancels the lease because you complain, you can sue him for his retaliatory actions, which is illegal.


Here is the retaliation statute link:


Roger and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.





I was looking for miracles, perhaps, when I mentioned "I had no Lease" and obviously no leg to stand on, in court. I appreciate the answer, but wasn't told anything new or that I didn't know. "If the lanlord cancels the lease" does not apply-I'm here 5 years, and never had a lease. And yes, I will still pay the $20 ...

Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
I believe the statute does give you relief, particularly 223(b)(a).