How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD degree, business owner
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has a judgement against him for a business debt

Resolved Question:

My husband has a judgement against him for a business debt and I have been subpoenaed to " answer concerning property of the judgement debtor in my possession or control. Am I responsible for his business debt - we live in California
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.



You must produce those documents, because a subpoena is a court order. You could be held in contempt for not following the subpoena. You don't want to let that happen.


They are trying to find out whether you are holding property that is actually your husbands or is marital property in which case they could attach it as per the judgment.


Many times a person who is in debt will sign everything over to someone else so it looks as if they have nothing. The creditor, I'm sure, want to see if that happened here.


dkennedy and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you