Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Does California corporate law require unlisted C corporations

Customer Question
to use cumulative voting to...
Does California corporate law require unlisted C corporations to use cumulative voting to elect directors?

(Our corporation would like to opt-out of cumulative voting for directors if the CA code permits that.)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/2/2009
Business Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
In California - Cumulative voting is mandatory for all corporations not publicly traded on a major exchange. Other corporations may eliminate cumulative voting by amending its articles of incorporation or through its bylaws. When cumulative voting is permitted, shareholders are subject to notice requirements prior to cumulating votes. See Cal. Corp. Code §§ 301.5, 708(a)-(b) (2004).
Law Pro, Attorney