How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I own a Fashion and Lifestyle LLC and I am in the process

Resolved Question:

Hello, I own a Fashion and Lifestyle LLC and I am in the process of acquiring the right to distribute an African Lifestyle magazine online. Legalwise I do not know where to start and also I will like to have an idea of how much this might cost me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-Is this an online magazine you are proposing to start or is it one already in existence?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It is an magazine already in existence in an African country in hard copies, but I am about to acquire the rights to distribute the magazine online and eventually distribute the magazine in hard copies in North America.

I need legal assistance with drawing up contracts which will be binding in the US and the African country in question, cyberspace laws and also how to protect my interests in this venture.

Like I said, I will like an attorney referral and also have an idea of how much it will cost me to get all these legal assistance.


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Generally, the publisher of the magazine would have the duty to draft the contractual agreement granting the license, since it is his license to grant. As far as the cyber distribution, this would also be specified in the licensing/distribution agreement. The problem here is you will need an international copyright/licensing attorney and they generally charge anywhere from $200 - $500 per hour. Depending on the complexity of the proposed agreement the publisher sends to you, the attorney should not really charge you more than 2-3 hours to review and revise the agreement to your liking. The best place to find an attorney for this is the same site used by other attorneys:

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you