Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

A law firm has filed a judgment against me on behalf of one

Customer Question
of my credit cards....
A law firm has filed a judgment against me on behalf of one of my credit cards. I admit I owe the debt, and want to pay the debt, but now that a motion has been submitted to the Circuit Court I don't know what to do. My attorney has made several attempts to contact the law firm, but they will not respond.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/3/2008
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

You've really answered your own question. If the creditor's attorney refuses to negotiate, then you're only leverage is to file for bankruptcy protection. That's something that your or your attorney could make clear to the creditor: that bankruptcy will absolutely occur if the creditor is unwilling to negotiate a settlement of the matter.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney