How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118236
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine has a floral business but cant afford to

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine has a floral business but can't afford to run it anymore so he wants to give the business (equipment, coolers, the whole shop) to me. His lease term is until July 2009 at $3800/month. I've met with the leasing agent and submitted a lease proposal that is at the current rate per square foot due to the market. The leasing agent will lose out on $23,200.00 if I take over his lease. She states that the coolers and equipment are now hers since he will be getting out of the lease early. Is this true or would she have to be awarded the equipment in court first?
She would have to be awarded the coolers and equipment in court first unless she has perfected a security interest in the items by filing a UCC-1 form with the secretary of state's office for those items as security for the lease. She does not automatically get anything from the business without a security interest. Her reocourse for her loss would be to sue the current owner for the losses and then she can seek a lien against the business or the equipment through a court order.

Your friend would convey everything to you including the business through a contract of sale.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. When would she have had to file the UCC-1? Could she still?
The UCC-1 can be filed at any time, but until it is filed (perfected) any other person can lay claim to the property. If you take possession of the shop and equipment before it has been filed then it would not be effective.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How would he convey the shop and equipment to me as quickly as possible? Quit claim deed? Bill of sale? What would be the best, XXXXX XXXXX?
It would be done through a contract of sale for the business. You would have to provide adequate consideration to him (money/services) in exchange for the business because if you do not, the leasing agent could challenge the transfer as a fraudulent transfer and thus invalidate the contract for sale because every contract requires adequate consideration. Thus, you should include consideration such as a percentage of the net profits for a certain time to make sure it is an actual sale and the contract is upheld as valid.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much and have a great day!
I'm accepting now.
Thank you. One last piece of advice. It is best that you hire an attorney to draft the contract of purchase/sale to make sure it will hold up in court regarding consideration and the transfer of all of the equipment.