How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 56532
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement against a business that has dissolved is

Resolved Question:

I have a judgement against a business that has dissolved is there any way I can now go after the owners personally?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
If it was incorporated you generally cannot. If the its a person dba as the business you can reach the principals. You could make a motion to pierce corporate veil but hard to do and requires to show the corporation is a mere shell.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am confused by the mere shell reference? expound.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
if a the corporation never followed corporate formalities, never has meetings, the principal commingles his personal account with the corporate account and it exists merely to avoid creditors, a court may let you get at the principals. but this is most rarely granted.
INFOLAWYER and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you