Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain, Attorney
Experience:  Registered Patent Attorney (1/2005); Attorney at Law (1/2004); M.S., Tech Writing (5/1981)
12446316

Im looking to run a skill-based contest (not a random chance

I'm looking to run a skill-based contest (not a random chance drawing or sweepstakes) based on a video game I created and published. I live in New York and would like to open the contest to US residents. I plan to offer a total of $450 in merchandise to the winners, and will publicize the contest over the Internet (no mailings). I am aware that laws regulating sweepstakes and contests exist, and that some states even require registration before you can run one, but I can't find any specific details regarding New York contest law. Please help provide me with the information I need to know to run my contest. Thanks very much!
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that **any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us;** and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

The information you seek is found the NY Consolidated Laws, General Business Law Article 24-A, which deals with fair trade practices; you will probably find § 369-ee to be particularly interesting. Be sure, though, to also read ALL of Article 24-A; the rules governing contests are spread around.

My (very quick and incomplete) research does not show that NY requires sweepstakes or contests to be registered at the level you're talking about. You should, however, double-check that with an attorney in a traditional representational face-to-face meeting.

The laws of the State of New York are found at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/ .

If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If you have constructive comments about my response to you, please leave feedback; if you are happy with my response, please leave positive feedback even if you don't leave a comment. Remember that you are leaving feedback for the quality of my help to you, not for Just Answer's policies or billings (I have no control over JA, especially not over their billing of customers; I just control what I have written). If questions linger, please hit REPLY to let me know how I can help you further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX locating this information for me!

Most of it deals specifically with random chance drawings so it doesn't apply to my contest. If one exists, could you please point out a section of Federal law that might deal with this? That should be it =)
The feds govern games of chance but I see nothing in the code that has to do with a skill-based contest.

Again, my search was VERY quick and may not be complete; you need to double check this with an attorney whom you actually hire and sit down.

You can find the US Code at http://www.gpoaccess.gov/uscode/index.html .