How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Owner Operator , I ave my own truck and was recently

Customer Question

I am an "Owner Operator", I ave my own truck and was recently leased on to another trucking company inwhich I have terminated my lease do to them not complying to Federal safety regulations and etc. This former company is not aware of the reason of my leaving. My question is; what can I do or what actions can I take for the contractor not providing me with payment(s) that are owed to me from completetion of my trips.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The only action you can have is to sue them for the money they owe you under breach of contract, doesn't matter why you left them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live in Omaha, Ne and other people are telling me that I would have to have documentation that I have had made attempts to get payment. My question is can I tape record the conversation when I go into their office so that way I have proof of these attempts.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
As an owner operator you should have log books or some records of the trips (gas receipts, bills of lading, weigh bills etc) Absent this information, you would have a hard time making a claim. As far as recording a phone conversation with them, where they are located is the law that is important, if they are in a one party consent state, then you can record the conversation you have with them, if not you cannot. See here for the list of one party and two party consent states.