How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Attorney 30+ years; Law professor ; BUSINESS LAW; CONTRACTS; TORTS; Arbitrator
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I do or did not have a written or verbal contract with ...

Customer Question

If I do or did not have a written or verbal contract with the county indicating that I must maintain the original timesheets submitted to me by my staff, can they now withold my payment because their are allegations of fraud committed by two of my former employees? This is in VA
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Welcome to JA. I will do my best to assist you.

They are just allegations. You have a claim based on the legal theory of QUANTUM MERUIT (the value of the thing) even though there was no actual contract. This principle applies based on the idea that you clearly did not intend to perform your services for free.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: are they allowed to withod my payment?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.