How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a contractor with local government agency. I had

Resolved Question:

I am a contractor with local government agency. I had two employees who defrauded the company by indicating that they had completed work they did not complete. The county is witholding my payment until they can determine the extent of the fraudulent activity. Can I hold their final check until the audit is complete? Can I sue them civily for the loss of revenue? Can I file criminal charges against them?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Generally, you cannot withold wages from employees to offset other damages they owe you for. You would have to pay them, then sue them for the damages for failure to complete the work. You could speak to the local DA regarding their fraudulent conduct, as commiting fraud on government contracts is illegal. Unfortunately, as the contractor, you are ultimately responsible for properly supervising your employees and their work, so the DA may not touch the case. Even if the DA does not touch it, you could still have a civil suit against the employees for any damages you must pay.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions