How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 9409
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got default judgement. Too late to negotiate

Customer Question

I received a default judgement in the US Dist. Ct., Central Cal. Trademark infringement case. The proposed judgement amount is an amount I can not possibly EVER satisfy. Plaintiffs atty, knows I am of no net worth. Still time to negotiate? If I don't show to court in California (I live in Illinois), what happens.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
It's never too late to negotiate. Maybe you can appeal or file a motion to set aside the default judgment. You need to talk to a a lawyer in the central district to figure out what happened and what your options are. The default judgment may or may not be valid depending on whether the court had jurisdiction and whether the complaint was legally adequate, See Falahati v. Kondo (2005) 127 Cal.App.4th 823 at