Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I founded a corporation in 2002 and have the majority ...

I founded a corporation in...
I founded a corporation in 2002 and have the majority of shares. The minority shareholder (President) changed the agent for the corporation (which I was before) and cancelled me and my daughter from the corporation and changed al the addresses etc. without my authorization and/or consent. I just found out as I had not received the annual corporation filing request and looked it up online. I understand it is a 3rd degree felony in Florida to make such changes - how can I sue or file a complaint etc. without spending money on an attorney (I am not in a very good financial position right now). Please help me ! The corporation owns the house in which I live and I am not on the board anymore although I have 99% of the shares)
7/1/2008
This is something that is generally beyond the scope of the police. You need to go to the local DA's office with the evidence. You could also file suit in civil court for breach of fiduciary duty. Unfortunately, because these suits end up so complex, you could file the claim yourself, but will probably eventually need an attorney to assist you. If you go to the clerk of court's office, you can get sample forms to file a complaint. Additionally, this is the type of claim for which you can seek attorney's fees, so you should call the state bar and see if they can refer you to an attorney willing to assist you on a pro bono basis if you cannot afford one.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Reply to PaulMJD's Post: Thank you for the answer - before I click the accept, I just want to make sure this answer is for the state of Florida and I can go to the DA - they cannot tell me that I have to file a civil suit, correct?
You are going to have to review the corporate bylaws to determine if it is within the authority of the president to make the corporate annual report and if he changed it, then the best you can do is change it back. If it was not his authority, and he falsified the report, then he can be charged with filing false documents. This is more of a civil matter, but it could be considered criminal if you can prove fraud. You, as a shareholder can file a suit to change the documents back and against the president for acting outside of the scope of his duties, but this is all based upon what the corporate bylaws and corporate articles state.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney