How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31683
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On may 5, 2005 I signed a retainer agreement with a

Resolved Question:

On may 5, 2005 I signed a retainer agreement with a lawyer and gave her $1,000. to start legal proiceedings against a plumber who installed a sewer drain that had many subsequent problems after it was replaced and caused me extra money to fix.The plumber did not honor his warranty, I had repeated backups of sewage and a visual camera investigation of the sewer showed the joints were not installed properly. I have been to this lawyers office several times and either she is not there or said I had to make an appointment to see her, to date I have not recieved any of the retainer refund or told how the money was spent.All calls made have not been returned what can I do?Also, the lawyer has the deed to my house from the time of closing in jan.2004,do I still need that one or can I just get another original copy? at the same time and only time she spoke with me about making an appointment dont just come to her office, she told me she had the deed from the time of closing.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

The rules of professional conduct require the attorney to provide you with an itemized accounting of the work done and billed against the retainer. You should send a letter asking for this information and a return of any un-earned portion of the retainer. If the attorney fails to give this to you, you can file a complaint with the state bar association.

You need your original deed - and you need to make sure it has been filed with the land records clerk of your county. If it has not, you should do this immediately. You should not accept a copy - you're entitled to the original.

Roger and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do i pay her for keeping my deed?I think if was already registered.We did not have an agreement for her to keep it, she gave me a copy on the date we closed on the house.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.
She doesn't keep the deed - it is yours. You certainly don't owe her for keeping it. It is more likely that she kept it to have it recorded with the land clerk.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions. If not, please click "Accept" so I may receive credit for my time. Thanks.

Related Business Law Questions