How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Worked in corporation's law department; business formations, formalities, and other business matters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a case is being heard in (Federal Court) in AZ, and an ...

Resolved Question:

If a case is being heard in (Federal Court) in AZ, and an attorney is only licensed in WA, can he defend that case in Federal court in AZ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 9 years ago.


Normally attorney may only represent clients in the states where they are licensed and, attorneys who are licensed by a state normally also have to pass a kind of "mini" bar exam in order to be able to appear in federal court after they pass their state's bar exam and are licensed by thier state. HOWEVER, an attorney licensed in one state (such as WA) may be able to appear in another state where they are not licensed (such as NY, CA, or AZ) IF they properly follows the laws of the state where they are not licensed to appear "pro hac vice," which normally requires them to obtain the assistance of an attorney licensed in the "new" state to also work with them (as may be requried by a state's "pro hac vice" laws or regulations).

More information about pro hac vice rules in AZ can be found here, and also here or here

Jane T (LLC) and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane T (LLC)'s Post: Thank you