Business Law Expert
Business Law Expert, Attorney
Experience:  Extensive experience in Corporate and Business Entities
10097719

If a medical doctor wants an LLC in TN, does it have to be ...

If a medical doctor wants an LLC in TN, does it have to be a PLLC? If it''s not required, why is it an option? What advantage does it have?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Business Law Expert replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Professional limited liability companies (PLLC's) are corporations and limited liability companies organized for the purpose of providing professional services. Usually, professions where the state requires a license to provide services, such as a doctor, chiropractor, lawyer, accountant, architect, or engineer, require the formation of a professional corporations or PLLC. With professional entities, the proper state licensing body must often approve the formation documents before these documents can be filed with the secretary of state. Further, the articles typically must contain the signature of a licensed professional as the incorporator, and that person's license number, or a certified copy of the license may be necessary as part of the filing requirements. As a result, the filing time for professional entities may be longer than the filing time for standard business entities.

You do not have to form a PLLC if you are a doctor, however the advantage is that if you are this lets the world know that your are a professional and your license has been approved by the appropriate state board.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Business Law Expert's Post: Your answer is what I needed and since I have searched high and low for that answer, could you please let me know how you knew or learned that? It is important that I have confidence in the answer. Thanks so much!
I just happen to know it because a client a couple years back formed a tennessee PLLC. If you want concrete evidence call the Tennessee Department of State Division of Business Services. They will answer any and all questions you have.